Neighbor Rescues Woman from Burning House

Published: July 21, 2008 | 7220th good news item since 2003

Neighbors rescued a woman from her burning home early Monday morning, and three firefighters were hurt putting out the flames in Green Bay.

The fire was discovered around 4 o’clock at a three-story home in the 800-block of South Quincy Street on the city’s east side. Investigators say 68-year-old Mary Taylor lives there with her two dogs.

“I got out of bed and went to the front window and could tell somebody was yelling, ‘Fire!'” Curt Dworak said.

When he realized what was happening just a couple houses down from his own, he threw on some clothes and ran to his neighbor’s aid.

“I was just hoping Mary wasn’t in there, and her car was in the driveway so I knew she was, so I just reacted,” he said. “I just busted the glass. It all started falling. I ripped the screen out and then went in the window.”

Dworak yelled for Mary but got no response. As he searched, the fire grew and debris started falling around him.

“I didn’t know what to do. I yelled for her a couple more times, and then I heard her.”

Disoriented and incapacitated, Mary was sprawled on the floor in the back of her house, so Dworak picked her up and carried her to safety.

While others call what Dworak did heroic, he says anyone would’ve done the same.

“They would’ve all done the same thing. Mary’s a nice lady, and how could you live with yourself if you didn’t do something like that?”

Mary was up and talking before she was taken to the hospital to be checked out. Dworak escaped without a scratch.

Three firefighters putting out the fire were treated for smoke inhalation and heat exhaustion.

“Always tough for us. The gear we wear is basically like winter clothes, and it holds a lot of heat, so that was definitely a concern. They rotate crews quite frequently to make sure we stay hydrated and cool,” Nick Craig, Green Bay Fire Department, said.

Published in Rescues
See also: www.wbay.com
Inside Good News Blog