Child dropped to safety, woman rescued

Published: July 7, 2008 | 7165th good news item since 2003

A house fire Monday morning forced a woman to drop a two-year-old child from a second-story window before she was rescued herself by firefighters.

No one injured in the fire, but the woman, who is pregnant, and one firefighter were treated for smoke inhalation.

The fire started about 7:43 a.m. in the kitchen of a house in the 400 block of Dare Avenue, according to Fire Marshal Anne-Marie Loughran.

The family renting the house had visitors for the holiday weekend, Loughran said, so that a total of four adults and seven children were in the home at the time of the fire.

According to Loughran the woman dropped a two-year-old child from a second-story window to a teen-aged cousin standing below, then was rescued when firefighters arrived. Loughran said a neighbor tried to get people out of the second story with a ladder, but was unsuccessful.

Firefighters also rescued a dog.

Published in Rescues
See also: hamptonroads.com
Inside Good News Blog