Bungalow toddlers rescued from fire

Published: June 9, 2008 | 7156th good news item since 2003

TWO toddlers and their grandmother were rescued from their smoke-filled bungalow after arsonists set fire to a caravan in its driveway.

Police were today hunting the arsonists who set fire to the caravan in the driveway of the property in Dobbins Road, Barry, shortly before 11pm last night.

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus had to negotiate their way along the side of the burning caravan, which contained gas cylinders, then in through the front door of the bungalow and help the woman, 59, and her grandchildren out through the window.

The woman and her two grandchildren, aged two and 18 months, were treated for smoke inhalation by paramedics but did not require hospital treatment.

A fire service spokesman said: “The caravan was well alight when we got there and since it was parked in the driveway close to the front door it made it difficult for firefighters to get into the property.

“The alarm was raised by two boys who were passing by. If it had not been for the swift action of the firefighters this could have been considerably more serious.”

He said the owner of the bungalow, who was not in the property at the time, had recently been subjected to verbal threats.

Published in Kids & Teens
See also: icwales.icnetwork.co.uk
Inside Good News Blog