Heroine rescues blaze woman

Published: May 31, 2008 | 7088th good news item since 2003

A WOMAN was today hailed a heroine after she rescued an elderly woman from her burning home.

Fire crews were astonished by the bravery of the neighbour who carried the 76-year-old pensioner out of the house in Walmer Road, Birkdale.

The victim, who was recovering from a stroke, was asleep in a bedroom using an electric blanket.

It overheated and caught fire and the flames were spotted by the neighbour, who is in her 40s, as she walked her dog at 9.15 last night.

The woman, who has a key for the elderly woman’s house, rushed inside and found her upstairs with the bed ablaze.

She carried her downstairs and gave her emergency first aid treatment until an ambulance arrived.

Today, fire chiefs paid tribute to her actions and said they would recommend her for a commendation.

And they said the elderly woman could have been killed if the neighbour had not gone to her rescue.

The pensioner is recovering in Southport and Formby District Hospital after suffering smoke inhalation.

The fire had spread to four other rooms.

Watch manager Dave Shanahan said: “I would pay tribute to what this woman has done; it took a lot of courage.

“She was walking past and it was fortunate that because she sometimes looks after the lady, she had a key for the house.

“The occupant had recently suffered a stroke and had limited mobility. At the time she was sleeping under an electric blanket.

“It wasn’t easy to pick up that woman and bring her to safety, the house would have been full of smoke.

“When we got there, the woman was at the bottom of the stairs and we assisted getting her outside.

“If the neighbour hadn’t been there, the outcome could have been very serious.”

Published in Heroes
See also: www.liverpoolecho.co.uk
Inside Good News Blog