Firefighters extinguish house fire, rescue dog overcome by smoke

Published: November 13, 2006 | 5039th good news item since 2003

A fire caused close to $50,000 in damage to a Newport News home early today, an official said.

The lone occupant escaped safely, but the family dog, a Schnauzer named Sade, suffered smoke inhalation and was rushed to a veterinary clinic, where it appeared to be recovering, said Dana Perry, spokeswoman for the Newport News Fire Department.

Perry said firefighters reached the house on Autumn Circle shortly after 7 a.m. and found smoke pouring from inside. She said a 20-year-old man inside was awakened by smoke alarms and managed to escape and call 911.

When firefighters went inside, Sade was found unconscious upstairs. They gave the dog oxygen then rushed it to a veterinary clinic, Perry said.

The fire appears to have been caused by unattended cooking in the kitchen, Perry said.

Published in Firefighters
See also: www.dailypress.com
Inside Good News Blog