Honour for fire hero Ross (6)
Published: November 7, 2006 | 5015th good news item since 2003
A quick-thinking youngster has been commended after spotting a blaze at his home and calling firefighters.
Brave six-year-old Ross Goulding was playing outside and, through a window, spotted a blaze on the mantelpiece of his home in Middlecroft, near Staveley.
But instead of running inside, he shouted to his mum, who was upstairs, and then went next door to get a neighbour to call 999.
Sharon Scott, a firefighter in Staveley, said: “He did exactly the right thing. He stayed calm and was very brave.”
Sharon said that community fire safety officers had visited Ross’s school in Staveley and given his class a talk earlier in the year – which he had remembered. [Stop Drop and Roll (Hardcover)]
The blaze started when a lighted candle set the wooden mantelpiece on fire at the house on Circular Road on October 19.
Firefighter Scott said the house had smoke alarms, which went off, and this along with Ross’s quick actions averted a major blaze.
She added: “There was a lot of smoke in the living room when we arrived. Candles are very dangerous and they need to be on a proper base.
“People need to take great care, especially around Christmas when more candles are used.”
Firefighters are offering free home safety checks in the run-up to the festive season.