Mum saves children in fire horror

Published: September 15, 2006 | 4777th good news item since 2003

A MOTHER saved her two children in a dramatic rescue when the bedroom above them exploded.

Suad Suleiman, 37, was eating dinner and watching cartoons with her son and daughter in the lounge of their home in Whalebone Lane North, Dagenham, at 5.30pm on Friday, when they heard a loud bang from upstairs.

“I ran to my bedroom and the noise I heard was my bottles of perfume exploding,” said Mrs Suleiman.

“There were flames everywhere; it must have spread very fast.

“I was very frightened. I was panicking. I got the children and quickly ran outside to call for help.”

Smoke filled the house as the blaze destroyed everything in its path, and the heat blew out the windows.

Mrs Suleiman’s husband, Seif, 38, who was at work when the blaze started, believes it began in the floorboards when electric wires shorted.

He said: “Thank God fire didn’t come downstairs – it’s very dangerous because of the boiler and gases there.

“And thank God my wife’s OK – and the children.”

The fire gutted the couple’s bedroom and the family, who had only lived in the house for eight months, lost most of their possessions.

“Our passports, my jewellery, clothes – we kept everything in our bedroom,” Mrs Suleiman added.

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus battled the flames for nearly two hours, and managed to extinguish the blaze.

Barking and Dagenham Council has promised to rehouse the family this week.

Published in Kids & Teens, Motherhood, Rescues
See also: www.bdrecorder.co.uk
Inside Good News Blog