Mother, 5 kids rescued from burning Bay Terrace house

Published: November 8, 2005 | 2640th good news item since 2003

A mother and five children were rescued from a home in Bay Terraces after a fire was started by a candle early Monday morning, authorities said.

Fire crews were called to the home on Montcliff Road near Goode Street about 4:20 a.m.

They heard screaming and went around to the back of the house where they say a 5-year-old boy waving at them through the window, his escape blocked by security bars over the windows, said San Diego Fire spokesman Maurice Luque.

They cut through the bars and rescued the boy, his 29-year-old mother, two other boys and two girls. The children’s ages ranged from 3 to 8 years.

All of them suffered smoke inhalation and were taken to a hospital, Luque said.

The children’s father, who works an overnight shift at an insurance company, came home to find fire crews putting out the flames, according to KNSD Channel 7/39.

The fire caused an estimated $250,000 in damages to the house and $150,000 in damages to its contents, Luque said. Several items from the home, including many of the family’s belongings, were piled out in front at daybreak Monday.

Luque said the fire showed the danger of leaving a burning candle unattended.

This is the second fire started by an unattended candle since Friday, when a 13th Street condominium in Egger Highlands went up in flames. That blaze caused an estimated $1.1 million in damage to one condo and damaged another.

He said the fire also showed how important it is to have an evacuation plan and that residents know how to open security bars and locks. He urged people to check those locks to make sure they are operating properly and are not rusted or broken.

Published in Rescues
See also: www.signonsandiego.com
Inside Good News Blog